TRY AUBERGINE+ FREE FOR 30-DAYS & SAVE!
South African Bobotie Pasta w/ A Creamy Chutney Sauce
Bobotie is a well-known South African dish consisting of spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping. Check out this unique & delectable South African Bobotie recipe with a savory & creamy, Chutney Sauce.
|4||45 mins + 30 mins refrigeration time|
400g cake flour + extra for dusting
A pinch of salt
4 large eggs
20ml ground turmeric
500g beef mince
45ml bobotie seasoning
10ml olive oil
For the omelet:
3 large eggs
salt and pepper
15ml olive oil
90g red onion - finely chopped
7.5ml garlic - finely chopped
180ml peach chutney
salt and pepper
30ml flaked almonds - toasted
handful coriander - finely chopped
- For the pasta, blend the flour and salt together in a food processor.
- Whisk the eggs and turmeric together.
- Add it to the food processor with the flour mixture and pulse until crumbly.
- Turn the mixture out onto a clean surface and bring the dough together with your hands.
- Knead it lightly for a few minutes until smooth and pliable.
- Form the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll out one piece at a time, using a pasta maker.
- Dust the machine and dough with flour every time you change the pasta machine’s setting.
- Roll it through the machine from the thickest setting to the third thinnest setting.
- Using the pasta machine’s attachment cut the dough into spaghetti strands.
- Dust the cut pasta with flour and hang it over the handle of a saucepan or wooden spoon as you prepare the rest of the pasta.
- For the meatballs, use your hands to mix the mince and seasoning together.
- Form the mixture into 20 meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Fry the meatballs, in batches, for 6 mins.
- Turn them over and fry for a further 5-6 mins until cooked through.
- For the omelet, whisk the eggs together and season lightly.
- Add the butter to a pan over medium heat.
- Add the egg mixture and cook for 2-3 mins until the omelette is cooked through.
- Slice into thin strips.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a pot over low heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté, 5 mins.
- Whisk in the corn flour, chutney and cream and turn the heat up to medium.
- Simmer for 3-5 mins until slightly thickened and season it to taste.
- Heat a large pot of salted water over medium heat. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes until al dente.
- Strain and add it to the hot chutney sauce.
- To serve, add a portion of pasta to each serving dish.
- Top it off with some meatballs and scatter a few omelette strands on top.
- Add some toasted almonds and coriander.
TIP: For a cheat’s version of the pasta, cook store-bought spaghetti in a pot of boiling water that has been flavored with 20ml (4tsp) of ground turmeric.
Shop your South African Ingredients for Bobotie w/ AuergineFoods.com