INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
EGGS: 2 extra-large or jumbo eggs
OIL: ¾ cup (180 ml) Canola or Sunflower oil
BUTTER: ¼ cup (60 g) butter, melted
MILK: ¾ cup (180 ml) hot full cream milk
PANS & EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED
- 2 x 20 cm or 2 x 22 cm cake pans or 1 x 12 cup muffin pan for cupcakes 7 cm x 3 cm deep
- Electric beater
Adjust oven rack to middle position
Layer Cakes: Bake for 25 – 30 min at 180°C
Cupcakes: Bake for 12 – 15 min at 190°C
Kosher households can replace the ¾ cup (180 ml) hot milk with ¾ cup (180 ml) hot coconut milk.
RED VELVET CAKE ILLUSTRATED ON FRONT OF BOX
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter cake tins generously and line bases with baking paper or spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat eggs, oil and melted butter together for 30 seconds on high speed until well blended.
- Add hot milk and beat briefly at high speed.
- Add the contents of the pack and gently mix in by hand with a spatula. Mix only until combined. It is important not to over mix.
- Divide mixture evenly between the two prepared pans, and level the tops with the back of a tablespoon.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. The cake is done when a thin-bladed knife inserted into the center comes out clean or cake pulls away slightly from the sides of the pan.
- Cool cakes in the pans for 10 minutes. Turn out on a cooling rack. Do not ice until cakes are completely cool. Delicious with cream cheese icing – see method below for fool proof recipe.
FOOL PROOF CREAM CHEESE ICING